Monday, March 29, 2010

Pluggin' along at a snail's pace.

It's been quiet on the blog lately as I've been slowly working on my long list of in Progress quilts and finishing up my pot holders for the Potholder Pass.  Round three sign ups are going on now if you're interested, just let Amy over at http://duringquiettime.blogspot.com/ know.  She's been a wonderful hostess and organizer  and there has been a great collection of works by some really talented people.    I will be bowing out of # 3 as  life at home has gotten a bit crazy. 

Wednesday we are taking a trip to C.H.O.P.S. to meet a  new Dr/surgeon who has specialized in Perthes.  I hesitate to say he will be Brian's doctor as I know nothing about him except what is stated in his Bio on the Hospital's website.  There is still so much we don't know and numerous opinions as to what stage Brian's perthes is in, that we are at least going to have another opinion to add to the ever growing medical file.  It was stated that he will be casted and have some sort of surgey on his right side sometime this year; hopefully this doctor  can give us something a bit more absolute.  The unknown is what drives me insane or to tears on any given day.  We are still unaware of what the insurance company is going to cover. They didn't think the wheelchair is medically necessary,so...


He has recently learned how to use crutches for short distance walking and for home use and some excercises to help his range of motion in his hip.   He will likely need a walker for ease of use when he's casted ( I'm hoping for a Scottish-Rite Brace) , because he just feels that the wheelchair and crutches are "too much work".  Some days are good , somedays are bad and it seems as though it's a constant battle concerning his perthes.  This photo shows him as a happy child, right after this, he purposefully ran himself into a wooden fence for dramatic effect, outside of the tiger's cage  and yelled "this is too hard!  I hate You! I hate perthes", while onlookers leered at us; the  terrible parents of that poor boy in the wheelchair, with their mouths agape. He wanted a reaction and got it in spades.  It sucks for him, and us at times.    It's extremely frustrating  to continuously explain to an active seven year old ( he's frustrated with continously hearing it) that while he is able to walk, he is unable to run or jump because it will cause further damage and pain. I hope for a lot from this doctor without really knowing what I'm hoping for, if that makes sense. Thinking some good thoughts and sending our way would be greatly appreciated. 

 We participated in my friend Kate's day for Case for Smiles this past weekend and had a lot of fun with the kids.  So a big thank you to her for all her hard work and planning.  Make sure you check her out.  
I currently have 6 quilts in the works 4 of these are scrap quilts and here are some pictures of  the two I'm working on lately. 
This is my version of Paint Box Quilt made of scraps.  I pieced and sewed long srtips of scraps together and rotary cut them in 6-1/2 x 6-1/2 blocks.  I still have to add on the purple panel and the outside sashing.


This quilt is of my own design, although I'm sure I'm not the first to ever think of it.  These are the scrap leftover cuts from the scrap string panels I used to make my stars. This will be crib sized when finished.  I've been practicing my free motion quilting and have been using  a Skillbuilder #1 panel described here by Anita over at http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com/.  I need so much more practice. :)



Take care,

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails